The CFIC started its presence in the Archdiocese of Edmonton in 2010 with the opening of the community at Santa Maria Goretti Parish to serve the Italian parish in Archdiocese of Edmonton.
This CFIC priests started serving the Twin Roman Catholic parishes of St. Agnes and St. Anthony in Edmonton on August 13, 2013. Rev. Fr. Joby Augustin as the Pastor and Rev. Fr. Silvichan Dominic Marattil as the Associate pastor and part-time Chaplain to the University Hospital.
Declared a historical monument in 1978, St. Joachim’s Roman Catholic Church was built in 1899 with a heritage deeply associated with the establishment and development of the Catholic community in Edmonton. The building itself is a beautiful representation of late nineteenth century French-Canadian ecclesiastical architecture. This parish, French-speaking only, is now entrusted the CFIC Priests and Fr. Philip Atandele Insonia is currently appointed as the pastor of this parish
Since January 1st, 2021, all the CFIC Priests serving in the Archdiocese of Edmonton are assigned to a single community based at Santa Maria Goretti parish. At present Santa Maria Goretti community is composed of nine members serving eleven parishes.
1. Fr. Jean Claude Ndanga. Superior and Pastor at St. Thomas Aquinas (French).
2.Fr. George Puramadathil, Pastor at Santa Maria Goretti Church (Italian-English)
3. Fr. Philip Atandele Insonia, Pastor at St. Joachim Parish (French)
4. Fr. Joy Vadakkan, Pastor at Holy Name Church, Vermilion
5. Fr. Benjamin Obetta, Associate pastor at St. Joseph Basilica, Edmonton.
6. Fr. Varghese Munduvelil CFIC, Superior and Pastor of St. Agnes and St. Anthony’s Twin Parishes, Edmonton, Alberta.
7. Fr. Joby Augustin CFIC, Pastor of St. Francis Xavier, Camrose, AB.
8. Fr. Shimit Abraham CFIC, Pastor of St. Stephen’s Church, Lacombe and St. Augustin’s Church, Ponoka, Alberta.
9. Fr. Silvichan Dominic Marattil CFIC, Pastor of St. Michael’s Church, Leduc, Alberta.
Santa Maria Goretti parish rectory is the common house for the community. We six brothers try to meet regularly for a day every week normally. Each brother is engaged in the care of pastoral, hospital / seniors residence / school ministry and pro-life ministries as per the direction of the diocese.
The community tries to be dynamic and welcoming and tries to interact with all brothers of communities and collaborate mutually in ministry. Since all brothers reside in separate houses of the parishes. We try to have periodical community gatherings, meals and visits, outdoor activities to be united to our community spirit. These are the moments of common sharing for us.
Santa Maria Goretti